Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Manning's Maple Leaf Creme Cookies

While I wasn't born a Downeaster in New England, I've learned to appreciate the taste of maple syrup.  The real thing is quite expensive and very thin to the point of pouring like water over your favorite pancakes.  There's a lot of work involved to bring it to your table.  I've got a sugar maple tree in my yard that might produce enough sap to make syrup for one short stack. 

It's almost farcical that most commercial pancake syrups tend to use the term maple-flavored rather loosely when describing their syrups.  Most consist of corn-based high fructose syrups with lots of artificial ingredients including maple flavor. Most don't contain any of the real thing.  I was well into adulthood before I ever had real maple syrup that while tasting wonderful, it ran very quickly off my pancakes.

I came across a real maple-flavored product awhile back that caught my attention at of all places Dollar Tree.  It's a cookie called Manning's Cookie Shop Maple Leaf Creme Cookies.  They're made in Canada by Commercial Bakeries Corp. in Toronto and seemingly only available in The States at Dollar Tree.  They come in a tray of 16 cookies in a 15.4 oz. package and actually contain "pure maple syrup" as an ingredient.  The cookies are quite large and also very tasty. While sixteen cookies doesn't seem like many when compared to a pack of Oreos, they are a big cookie and wonderful with a cup of black coffee.  While most of us Yanks haven't had much exposure to the flavor of real maple, these are a sweet tasty treat worth trying.  At $1.00 per package, what have you got to lose?

 

3 comments:

  1. These cookies are AMAZING! I live in central North Carolina, and there are many Dollar Trees around. I've noticed that they only have these things sporadically though. I emailed the manufacturer and was told that Dollar Tree will no longer carry them. In the email was a list of some stores that may have them under a store brand name.Here is the list:1. Aldi Stores

    2. DeMoulas Market Basket

    3. Discount Drug Mart.

    4. Duane Reade

    5. Earth Fare

    6. Fred's

    7. Fresh & Easy

    8. Harris Teeter

    9. Heinen's

    10. HEB / Central Market

    11. Hostess Stores

    12. Price Chopper

    13. Sprouts

    14. Trader Joe's

    15. Walgreen's
    I stumbled onto your blog while trying to find a place online to order a case or two. I hope this list helps. And I hope that you or anyone reading this will post if they find these treasures at one of these stores, or anystore, or any outlet online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am desperately seeking this cookie! Where can I find it in Canada by case???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still looking for these amazing cookies.? I found them at Trader Joe's under their corp name. Trader Joe's Maple Leaf Cookies

    ReplyDelete